Friday, May 27, 2011

Pineapple Coconut Chicken Curry (Thai)

I'm a little behind on my dinners, and unfortunately I don't have pictures for this meal. 
What I usually do when I don't have a set recipe for a dish I want to try is to go online, find 3 different recipes for the same thing, and then mix my favorite ingredients of all of them to make one spectacular dish. That's what I did for this Thai dish.

1 Tbsp jarred garlic stuff
1 Tbsp vegetable oil 
1/2 onion - chopped big or small, however you like it

1 can coconut milk
1 1/2  cups chicken bouillon/ broth
3 medium potatoes - diced in small-ish cubes/chunks

1/2 green pepper, sliced into long skinny pieces
1/2 yellow pepper, same as above
1/2 red pepper, same as above
1 chicken breast, cut into chunks (can use more chicken if you like)
1 can diced pineapple

Spices - as always, you can use more or less than the amount I give. You taste, you decide.

1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like spicy)
Garlic salt to taste
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cumin seed
2 tsp turmeric 
2 Tbsp curry
2 bay leaves
1/8 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon
Dash of red pepper flakes (if you like spicy)
Pepper
The key: Salt. But add last. Very last - after the pineapple

1. Put oil, onions, and garlic in a big, deep pan. Saute onions until soft. Add coconut milk, chicken bouillon, and potatoes. 
2. Start throwing in the spices! 
3. Simmer until potatoes are almost soft.
4. Add red, green, and yellow peppers.
5. Add chicken.
6. Add pineapple. Pour the juice into a separate cup and add the chunks of pineapple. Slowly add the juice into the pan, testing along the way. Only add as much as it needs to be your perfect level of sweetness. This may be half the juice or all of it! 
7. Now, when I got to this point, it smelled and looked delicious. We served it over rice and started chowing down....and then we realized it was kind of..... plain tasting. But how could it be with all those spices I had put in it? And then I realized I forgot just plain old salt. We sprinkled some on top, and voila! The salt brought out all the other yummy flavors and spices and it was amazing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment