Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What to do resorts to chicken usual

I've recovered from the Thanksgiving weekend,
and have a month-long stock of turkey in my fridge
(and, of course, it's all left up to me to finished because
1. my husband doesn't like left-overs
and
2. even if he did, he doesn't like turkey)

So I've got chicken thawed out,
(yay. another bird.)
but no clue what to do with it...
I think I will do the usual, since I have yet to post about my 
Chicken Usual Recipe.
(I may have just made that name up on the top of my head).

I kind of made it up, and its kind of delicious
(and by kind of, I mean really.
I've had guests ask if it was marinated all day to taste this good.
Nope. Done in less than an hour).

Chicken Usual
1 chicken breast (or two - Adam and I usually split one boob in half)
1 egg, beated
Flavored Crackers of your choice - our favorite is the one brand that has like, sour cream and cheddar flavors. But we mix it up sometimes too
Parmesan Cheese
Pepper
Mozzarella Cheese
Optional - Slice of ham 
Basil
Thyme

Pound out the chicken a bit, to get it relaxed and a bit thinner.

While you're in the pounding mode, go ahead and crumble up the flavored crackers in a baggie. Add a couple of shakes of Parmesan cheese and pepper. Here you can be creative with your flavors. Want some spice? Add dried pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Don't add more salt, though. The crackers and cheese will give it plenty

Cut off a couple slices of mozz. cheese, and lay it flat on the chicken breast. Add slice of ham if wanted (tonight I think I will try crumbled turkey bacon). Sprinkle some of the cracker/cheese mixture on top of the mozz cheese/ham. Also, sprinkle on some basil and thyme. 

Roll up the chicken breast with the cheese/ham on the inside. Stick a toothpick in it if it doesn't stay together well on its own.

Dip the rolled up chicken into a bowl with the beaten egg, coating it well. Then, either roll the chicken around in the baggie with the crackers, or place the chicken in a pan and sprinkle the crackers on top, making sure to coat the whole chicken (I prefer the chick in bag method). 

Cook at 425 degrees F for 20 mins. Chicken is so delicate to cook - if you start to smell it, it's probably done. Cut a small slit on the top of the chicken to check if its done; if the juices run clear and the meat is an off white, looks juicy and moist, then its perfect!

Serve with green beens and my EASY MASHED POTATOES:

1 potato per person is usually plenty
Cheese
Butter
Sour cream
Salt/Pepper
Parsley flakes

Cut up potatoes into small cubes, skinning if you want (I like to lazily skin potatoes - half on/ half off

Boil in a pot of water on high for 20 or more minutes. The trick of making these mashed potatoes very easy is to boil them until they are very soft - soft enough that a stabbing them with a fork makes the cube fall apart.

When they are soft, drain them and put in a bowl. If the potatoes are soft enough, a wooden spoon will be sufficient to mash them. Throw in a handful of cheese, half a cup or so of sour cream, a couple tablespoons of butter, and whip up like crazy.

Top with salt, pepper, and parsley flakes. 


(sorry for no photos. Gotta work on that).  

No comments:

Post a Comment